At a glance: Multimedia Journalism
Did you know? WONB has been on the air since 1991.
Our majors earn a bachelor of arts in Multimedia Journalism; a minor is also offered. The multimedia journalism program is an integrated, interdisciplinary program that teaches students the skills necessary to work in multiple media platforms – print, digital, online, and broadcast – in the fields of journalism, public relations, promotions, or advertising. TV reporters no longer just report and shoot video; they write for their station's website. Newspaper reporters no longer just report and write stories; they shoot still photos, video, and make audio recordings for the Web versions of their stories--in addition to constantly updating their stories for the Web. Visit the department web page.
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts with a concentration in Electronic Media and Broadcasting; a minor is also offered.
- Involvement in the major from day one as a student at ONU
- One-on-one training in new media technologies.
- Internships in corporate video; radio and television stations; multimedia opportunities in local and regional production houses.
- Work with WONB-94.9FM and ONU3-TV, Northern's local access channel.
- Full audio and video studios with recording and editing capabilities.
The Freed Center is home to WONB Radio: The Voice of Ohio Northern University. The 3,000-watt non-commercial station first went on the air in 1991 and operates year round at 94.9 on the FM dial. WONB also streams on the internet and can be found at : http://www.wonb.net
ONU Cable is also located in the Freed Center and serves the campus with over 70 channels of educational and entertainment programming. For more information on ONU Cable TV and ONU3-TV, visit ONU Cable TV
Both the radio station and the cable system are professionally managed and student operated.
WONB-FM, ONU3-TV (Local Access Channel), ONU Cable, College Broadcasters, Inc., Alpha Epsilon Rho: National Honor Society of National Broadcasting Society
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Ohio Northern No. 2 among more than 300 Midwest baccalaureate colleges in America’s Best Colleges (2010).
- Listed in Princeton Review’s The Best 371 Colleges 2010 Edition.
- One of the top 200 programs in the nation for creative students in Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers (2010).
- Among the top 100 private four-year colleges and small universities in Peterson’s Competitive College Guide (2010).
- Named in Colleges of Distinction (2010), a guide profiling America’s most distinguished teaching-centered colleges and universities.
The department offers an internship program, which provides a practical educational experience that includes theory and practice. Students have held internships at businesses as WLIO-TV (Lima), WTOL-TV (Toledo); WBNS-TV (Columbus), Clear Channel Radio, CorpComm and Mills-James Productions.
Graduates go on to work in radio advertising sales, television production, broadcast news and corporate audio and video production. Many go onto graduate schools to pursue advanced study at universities such as Ithaca College, Purdue, Ohio University, Bowling Green State University, Miami University, The University of South Carolina, University of Wisconsin and others.