Mechanical engineers are concerned with conversion of energy from one form to another, the design of machines and systems, and the control of processes. An undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering prepares the individual for an exciting career in many industries, such as aerospace, automotive, chemical, manufacturing, and power. A mechanical engineering degree also provides an excellent background for graduate studies in specialized fields of engineering, medicine and law.
The mechanical engineering department will enable students to acquire the skills needed for lifelong success and be prepared for professional practice and further studies.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering program will attain:
- Success in their chosen profession.
- Recognition for their ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and to work with people of various backgrounds.
- Respect by working in a dedicated, competent, and ethical manner.
- Professional development through continued studies.
By the time of graduation, students majoring in mechanical engineering will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The degree of Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.