- Polar Careers powered by Symplicity
- 1:1 Advising
- Career Fairs
- AASG 3001-Career Search Strategies, Available Elective!
- Emerging Professional Series (EPS)
An online database that allows students to upload their professional resume as it passively advertises you for career opportunities to thousands of ONU’s employers. You can also store other documents for your personal use.
To access Polar Careers powered by Symplicity:
- Go to the Polar Careers homepage www.onu.edu/careers
- Click on the logo on the right side of the page
- Click Student/Alumni
- Log in using your @onu.edu email address and your ONU password
- Follow the instructions provided after your first log in to get started!
An online job meta-search engine that returns job postings less than 30 days old, CareerShift searches are easily narrowed by keywords, position type, company and geographical location. There are THOUSANDS of job postings and contacts on CareerShift, all you have to do is look!
To access CareerShift:
- Log into Polar Careers powered by Symplicity using the steps seen above
- Click "Jump To CareerShift" on the Symplicity homepage and get started!
Our professional staff works with you to ensure you have the tools you need for your career search. Typical advising topics include:
- Document reviews (Ex. resumes, cover letters, graduate school statements)
- Mock interviews
- Major/career selection
- Review of online resources (Ex. CareerShift, Polar Careers powered by Symplicity, LinkedIn)
To set an appointment for one-on-one advising, call (419) 772-2145.
Polar Careers events enable you to engage with potential employers. Tips for success are provided to prepare you for these networking events, including the following:
- OFIC CareerFest
- February 7, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Aladdin Shrine Complex, Columbus
- For more information, go to http://ofic.org/careerfest.htm
- Winter Career Fair
- February 22, 9 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., King Horn Athletic Center
- For arts and sciences, business administration and engineering majors
- Register through Polar Careers powered by Symplicity “events” tab
- Education Expo
- Spring 2014, date, time and location TBD
- For alumni and current students who have or will have graduated with teacher licensure
- Registration information will be available closer to event
Why Attend Career Fairs?
Certainly it is easier and often encouraged to submit your resume online, so why take the time to dress professionally and show up at a career fair?
Because, attending a career fair:
- Shows initiative and provides networking opportunities
- Gives you a feel of what recruiters are looking for in applicants
- Develops interpersonal communication skills through face-to-face interactions
- Allows you to practice professional behavior
Maximize Your Career Fair Experience
Attend "Career Fair Success Strategies” presentations sponsored by Polar Careers for tips achieving success at career fairs.
Try AASG 3001, Career Search Strategies
This one-credit-hour, graded course is open to any student and is designed to teach lifelong career-search strategies that will enable you to develop and implement a personalized and successful career search for employment or graduate/professional school.
Course curriculum includes discussions about:
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitaes
- Written Correspondence
- Behavioral Interviewing
- Job-search Strategies
- Salary and Benefits Negotiation
- Business Etiquette
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Graduate and Professional-School Selection and Admission Strategies
These programs provide you with skills needed to conduct a successful career search. Presentations are offered in residence halls, classrooms and in McIntosh center. Check your weekly communications from Polar Careers for a schedule of dates.
- Behavioral-Based Interviewing
- Career Fair Success Strategies
- Creating Professional Resumes and Cover Letters
- Using Polar Careers, Career Shift and other online resources
- Behavioral based interviewing
- Business Etiquette
- Using Polar Careers, CareerShift and other online resources
- Negotiating salary and benefits