Ohio Northern University Music Major Talent Awards
Auditions are required of all students who wish to declare a major in music. This audition also serves as the evaluation for the music major talent award. Accepting the talent award carries with it the requirement to audition for ONU’s concert organizations and to maintain membership good standing in the ensemble(s) assigned.
Applicants must be applied to Ohio Northern University before they can audition for the Music Department.
Ohio Northern University Non-Music Major Talent Awards for Orchestra
Ohio Northern University Orchestra talent awards are available to all enrolled students at Ohio Northern University regardless of major. Awards are granted based on the student’s artistic potential as heard in a scheduled audition. Talent award amounts are contingent upon the complete financial aid package.
Musicians who play the following instruments are eligible: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Timpani, Percussion, Piano, Harp.
All incoming freshman and current students must audition by scheduling an appointment with Orchestra Manager, Mary Beth Donahoe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auditions will consist of the following:
- A prepared unaccompanied solo
- Scales, major and minor 2 octaves
- Sight reading of orchestral excerpts
Requirements for the Orchestra Talent Award include:
- Required to enroll in the appropriate individual instruction for their freshman year.
- All Potential Principal players must be available to play in the pit orchestra on an as needed basis.
- Must be present at all orchestra rehearsals as assigned at the beginning of each academic year. Absences are only permitted in the case of University classes and approved activities.
Talent Awards are renewable as long as the student is in good academic standing and meets the requirements of the Talent Award. The musician on an Orchestra Award does not need to re-audition each year to renew the award however, seating is determined at the beginning of each year based on seating auditions.