The Ohio Northern University Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Resident Artist Lloyd Butler, is a highly select group of students mixed with local professionals and faculty. The ONU Symphony Orchestra performs at least four programs a year and enrollment is open to all University students regardless of major by way of audition. The Orchestra rehearses Mondays and wednesdays from 6:10-7:50 p.m. Scholarships are available for majors as well as non-music majors who wish to participate in the ONU Orchestra ensembles.
The ONU Symphony Orchestra performs a wide variety of concerts including classical and pops. The orchestra has accompanied well-known pop artists such as America's Got Talent stars Alice Tan Ridley and Neal Boyd, as well as the Temptations Review and many others. The Orchestra has been committed to commissioning new works, including commissions of renowned composers Tonu Korvits, Stephen Davismoon, Joseph Curiale, Armando Corado Judd and Yehezkel Braun.
- Symphony No. 3
- Symphony No. 5
- Symphony No. 6
- Egmont Overture
- Piano Concerto No. 3
- Overture to Candide
- Symphony No. 2
- Academic Festival Overture
- Symphony No. 2
- Billy the Kid Suite
- Outdoor Overture
- Symphony No. 8
- Symphony No. 9 “New World”
- Slavonic Dances, op. 46
- Cello Concerto in B minor
- Enigma Variations
- Cello Concerto in E minor
- Symphony No. 37
- Symphony No. 4
- Mass in C Minor
- Ballet Music from Idomeneo
- Die Zauberflöte
- Symphony No. 40
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2
- Ancient Airs and Dances Suite No. 2
- Symphony No. 8 Unfinished
- F. Strauss
- Horn Concerto in C minor
- Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat major
- Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture
Past Guest Artists
Van Cliburn, Janos Starker, Modern Mandolin Quartet, Table for Five, Roman Rudnytsky, Petula Clark, Tony Sandler, Jack Jones
The Ohio Northern University Non-Music Major Talent Award for Orchestra
Ohio Northern University Orchestra talent awards are available to all enrolled students at Ohio Northern University regardless of major. Awards are granted based on the student’s artistic potential as heard in a scheduled audition. Talent award amounts are contingent upon the complete financial aid package.
Musicians playing the following instruments are eligible: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Percussion, Piano, Harp.
Audition Requirements: All incoming freshman and current students must audition by scheduling an appointment with Orchestra Manager, Mary Beth Donahoe, firstname.lastname@example.org. Auditions will consist of the following:
- A prepared unaccompanied solo
- Scales, major and minor 2 octaves
- Sight reading of orchestral excerpts
- Required to enroll in the appropriate private lessons at Ohio Northern University during freshman year.
- All potential principal players should be available to play in the pit orchestra on an as needed basis.
- Must be present at all orchestra rehearsals as assigned at the beginning of each academic year. Absences are only permitted in the case of University classes and approved activities.
Non-music major talent awards for orchestra are renewable as long as the student is in good academic standing and meets the requirements of the Talent Award. The musician on an Orchestra Award does not need to re-audition each year to renew the award, however, seating is determined at the beginning of each year based on auditions.
For more information regarding this talent scholarship, please contact Lloyd Butler at email@example.com or (419) 772-2690.