New Student Orientation
Welcome to the start of your ONU experience!
During the Fall Orientation, students will:
- Meet faculty and staff from your academic major
- Discuss the Common Reading selection
- Learn some of the history and exciting traditions about ONU
- Make new friends in your residence hall and across campus
- Discuss available resources and learn how to navigate campus
- Better understand your responsibilities as a new student, including differences between high school and college
- Learn about the community living standards and the expectations for you as a new student
- Get settled-in before classes begin
- Expand on your plans for academic success, career development, leadership and engagement and personal and fiscal responsibility.
During the Fall Orientation, parents will:
- Help your child get settled into life at Northern.
- Attend a family session on various topics with information about ONU.
- ttend the New Student Convocation and the Farewell Dinner.
Now that Summer Orientation is over, it's time to look forward to Fall. Fall Orientation is a required event for new ONU students and serves as a comprehensive introduction to nearly everything ONU offers you.
Throughout Fall Orientation you'll meet other new students, faculty, and staff while engaging in over 20 events on campus. You’ll be led in small groups with upper-class ONU students known as Orientation Leaders (OLs).
Your OL will share the ins and outs of being a ONU student and answer your questions as you prepare to start classes on Monday. Whether you are living on campus or commuting from home, Fall Orientation is essential for your transition to ONU.
Family members are encouraged to attend the Fall Orientation in addition to the new student.
If you have quesitons regarding Fall Orientation, please feel free to contact Jennifer Lambdin in the Office of Student Involvement (email@example.com or 419-772-3968).