ONU/OhioHealth Executive Fellowship
July 3, 2013 – June 30, 2014
Salary & Benefits
- Salary $55,000
- Moving expense
- Insurance benefits provided by ONU
- Two weeks vacation and sick time
- Professional travel up to $3,000
Ohio Northern University (ONU) and OhioHealth are co-sponsoring a one year Executive Fellowship in Pharmacy Administration and Professional Leadership. This postgraduate training program will help the Fellow further develop and enhance their management and leadership skills attained thus far, through engagement and ownership of activities in health system corporate management together with professional advocacy and leadership. It will prepare the Fellow for various career opportunities, including healthcare/pharmacy management, executive level positions with other health-related businesses and organizations, association management, academia, as well as government and health related agencies.
Upon completion of the one year fellowship, the Fellow will have developed knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- The Fellow will gain experience in management, organization operations and working collaboratively with a corporate executive health-system team. This Fellow will function as an extension of the leadership team within OhioHealth and should be prepared to lead system initiatives.
- The Fellow will engage in a rigorous process of self-awareness assessment to better understand his or her motivators, leadership assets and weaknesses, and impact of their “life story” to understand their future goals resulting in the creation of their “leadership legacy”.
- The Fellow will create a Personal Leadership Development plan for both their short-term and long-term development. Activities completed in the fellowship will directly support the plan.
- The Fellow will gain experience with leadership styles and mentoring relationships through interaction with numerous leaders, both in and outside of pharmacy.
Awareness of pharmacy issues, including advancement of patient care practice
- The Fellow will expand upon the learning from their practice experience and Masters Degree program or their combined Masters Degree/Residency program, gaining experience in supporting and leading activities to resolve these issues and advance the profession from a multi-faceted perspective (hospital, health-system, academic, and patient).
Teaching and presentation skills
- The Fellow will build teaching skills through involvement in teaching at ONU. Completion of a Teaching Certificate program is required, unless already obtained. Course instruction in clinical and leadership curriculum will be required.
Advocacy and communication skills
- The Fellow will engage in professional advocacy and lobbying activities, building awareness of the government affairs process, the status of pharmacy issues, and strengthening his or her communication skills.
- The Fellow will engage in media and/or patient education related activities to promote public awareness of the role of the pharmacist in patient care.
- Through interactions with numerous pharmacy leaders, the Fellow will build networking skills and gain a better understanding of varied and differing perspectives of pharmacy issues.
- The Fellow will interact with health-system leadership (Vice-President level and above) to gain a better understanding of the skills and attributes required to be successful in healthcare leadership today.
- The Fellow will work divided hours with offices at both OhioHealth Pharmacy Services in Dublin, OH and at the ONU Raabe College of Pharmacy in Ada, Ohio. The location will vary by week based on schedule events and activities.
- Charles McCluskey, Pharm.D., System Vice-President Pharmacy Services, OhioHealth
- Jenelle Sobotka, Pharm.D., FAPhA, Professor, Ohio Northern University Raabe College of Pharmacy.
Specific Co-sponsor Duties
- Attend and observe numerous leadership meetings of the health system, academic, and professional organizations.
- Lead planning and meetings of the health-system such as the Strategic Planning Process, Leadership Retreat and training program for senior management. Involvement may also include the OPA/OSHP Young Pharmacists Leadership Conference, and OPA and/or OSHP Board Strategic Planning Retreat.
Specific ONU Duties
- Assist with planning and teaching the Professional Leadership Development elective course.
- Assist with teaching of Contemporary Pharmacy Practice Course and other courses as scheduled. Participate in the Teaching Certificate program and complete requirements to receive certificate at completion of the fellowship.
- The fellow will complete 3-5 major projects – based on the schedule set by the co-directors.
- The fellow will submit a project for presentation at a national pharmacy meeting.
- The fellowship may include engagement with research proposal development, initiation of a new research project, or completion of a research project with analysis and report of results.
- Attend at least one national meeting – if accepted, presenting one of above projects as a poster.
- Use leadership assessment results to create a personal leadership development plan with both short term and long term elements.
Application and Selection Process
Applications are accepted beginning Dec. 1, 2012:
1. Submit a 1-2 page letter of intent, curriculum vitae, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
a. Jenelle Sobotka, Professor and Endowed Chair, ONU Raabe College of Pharmacy
i. Email (preferred): email@example.com
ii. Mail: Ohio Northern University, Raabe College of Pharmacy, 525 South Main Street, Ada, Ohio 45810
b. Letter of Intent should include the candidate’s personal statement on their career aspirations/goals and how the Fellowship would help them achieve these goals.
c. Letters of recommendation should be provided from: past or current residency directors or preceptors, past or current employers, dean or faculty from college of pharmacy.
2. Candidates will be evaluated on:
a. Professional involvement and organizational leadership
b. Professional practice and management experience
c. Completion of a PGY1 and preferably a PGY2 with MS/MBA degree is preferred. Practice experience with a master's degree is also acceptable.
d. Eligibility for Ohio Pharmacy licensure and a PharmD degree from an accredited college of pharmacy is required.
e. Selected candidate must complete background check and screening before employment confirmed.
3. Final Candidates will have a personal interview at either or both the OhioHealth office and at ONU with the Co-Directors. Interviewers may also include additional co-sponsor staff, as well as ONU Administration and faculty including the Dean, Associative Dean and Department Chair. Transportation expenses will be covered for the top 3 candidates.
4. Selection: Applications will be accepted beginning Dec. 1, 2012, and remain open until the position is filled. Interviews will be held in the spring. The position will begin July 1, 2013.
ONU Raabe College of Pharmacy: For more than 125 years, the nationally recognized Raabe College of Pharmacy has offered distinctive, challenging and comprehensive training for some of the nation’s most talented pharmacists. This University signature program features a six-year Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.
Ohio Health: OhioHealth is a successful not-for-profit, faith based hospitals and health organizations serving the health care needs of patients throughout the state of Ohio The system is comprised of eight member hospitals, nine affiliate hospitals, and a continually growing network of outpatient facilities. The organization has been recognized as a FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For” the last 6 years.